The Tax Relief for the Elderly Committee and Rachel Maciulewski, tax assessor, want Easton seniors to know about a change in the Senior Tax Relief program this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Seniors who received tax relief last year do not need to apply this year. The Tax Collector will apply the same tax credit as last year. If, in addition to a tax credit this year, a senior is requesting a tax deferral they should call the Assessor’s office at 203-268-6291.
If there has been a significant change in income from 2018 to 2019 and a senior feels it would be beneficial to amend their benefit, they should contact the Assessor’s office for a revised application packet. Anyone who did not receive tax relief last year and wishes to apply this year, should follow the steps below.
The full Senior Tax Relief program for 2020 is as follows. It is also available on the Town of Easton website.
Senior Tax Relief Info 2020
All of us who work on the Senior Tax Relief program hope that you and your families are well and staying safe. We have held off on final plans for tax relief pending an understanding of the impact of COVID-19. Social distancing makes it impossible to conduct the usual in-person reviews of tax relief applications. In addition, some seniors are experiencing difficulty in filing their federal tax return this year. As a result, we have decided to modify the process.
If you received tax relief last year, you do not need to apply this year. The Tax Collector will apply the same tax credit as you received last year. If, in addition to a tax credit this year, you are requesting a tax deferral please call the Assessor’s office at 203-268-6291 to let us know.
If there has been a significant change in your income from 2018 to 2019 and you feel it would be beneficial to amend your benefit, please contact the Assessor’s office for a revised application packet.
If you did not receive tax relief last year and wish to apply this year, please follow these steps:
- Call the Assessor’s office to let us know that you intend to apply.
- You will be mailed a revised application packet to complete and return to the Town Hall.
- If your application is returned by May 29, half of your tax credit will be applied to the July tax bill and the other half to the January bill. If it is returned after May 29 the entire tax credit will be applied to the January bill. The Assessor’s office will work with you to try to meet the May 29 date.
Senior Tax Relief Qualification Requirements:
- The applicant must be 65 as of Dec 31, 2019 (or a surviving spouse 60 or older).
- The property must be their principal residence.
- The applicant must have lived in Easton for at least five years.
- The combined income of all adults living in the residence must be less than $85,000.
- The combined assets of all adults living in the residence must be less than $750,000.
If you have any questions, please call the assessor’s office at 203-268-6291.