Easton’s ban on the installation of 5G technology within the town now extends to June 30, 2021. First Selectman David Bindleglass, Selectman Bob Lessler and Selectman Kristi Sogofsky voted to extend the moratorium. The June deadline allows time for several state proposals on the issue to be considered by the legislature, which is in session until early June.
The selectmen initially passed the moratorium resolution last June, but it expired at the end of 2020. The resolution calls on telecommunications companies to “cease and desist in the build-out of 5G-enabled small cell antennas” in the town until the technology has been proven safe to people and the environment through independent research and testing.
Several town residents spoke in favor of extending the ban, citing concerns about the impacts on the health of people, animals and the environment.
New EMS Generator
The selectmen also approved a proposal presented by Easton EMS to purchase a new generator for the EMS building on Sport Hill Road. The current generator is not functioning properly and unreliable despite efforts to extend its life. The selectmen approved the use of $21,635 in Local Capital Improvement Program (LoCIP) funds. LoCIP is a state program that provides financial assistance to municipalities for eligible capital projects. The initial funding request was included and approved as part of the EMS budget for 2020-21.
Appointments and Reappointments
January marks the start of new terms for many of the boards and commissions in town. As a result, the Board of Selectmen approved many reappointments. They also filled the final member vacancy on the Easton Diversity and Inclusion Task Force.
- Chris Peritore – Easton Diversity and Inclusion Task Force (member, term expiring 1/2/22)
- Tara Donnelly Gottleib – Board of Finance (alternate, term expiring 1/2/27)
- Philip Tamallanca – Parks and Recreation Commission (member, term expiring 1/2/24)
- Rocky Sullivan – Parks and Recreation Commission (member, term expiring 12/2/24)
- Jay Habansky – Planning and Zoning Commission (alternate, term expiring 1/2/24)
- Wallace Williams – Planning and Zoning Commission (member, term expiring 1/2/26)
- Prabha Gupta – Senior Center Advisory Board (member seat 1, term expiring 1/2/24)
- Sally England – Senior Center Advisory Board (member seat 2, term expiring 1/2/24
- Eunice Hanson – Senior Center Advisory Board (member seat 3, term expiring 1/2/24)
- Ronald Berry – Insurance Commission (member, term expiring 1/2/24)
- Anne Hughes – Commission for the Aging (member, term expiring 1/2/24)
- James Yeotsas – Board of Fire Commissioners (member, term expiring 1/2/26)
View a recording of the Jan., 7 Board of Selectmen meeting HERE.